Sunday, August 30, 2009

Working Out is Hard Work

P90X

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness
has value for all things, holding promise for both the
present life and the life to come." 1Tim 4:8

Our pastor mentioned this verse today and it stood
out to me because I have been committed to working
out for 2 1/2 months now. My friend, Kristi, and I
started out jogging and walking around a track and
doing some ab exercises, along with some leg and
arm exercises. You could say that first month was
our warm up. Because now we are doing intense workouts
5 days a week. We are going to a gym twice a week
and doing P90X (an awesome DVD workout) at
my house 3-4 times a week. We meet every morning
between 6:20am-6:45am. It's amazing that by 7:30am
I've already done a hard workout and normally I'd be
barely out of bed at that time. We're on week 8 and we
are definitely into a routine. As an Olympic athlete, it was
pretty much my "job" to work out and be in shape, but
it's a lot harder when you're a mom of 3 kids and
homeschooling. I am reminded what a "team player"
I am because as long as I have somebody working
next to me, I will push myself to the limit. I'm also
reminded that it's a lot easier to get "out of shape"
than it is to get in shape! I keep saying "No pain,
No gain" but I want to see the gain soon! I know
there is a benefit, even if I don't see all of it yet.

Back to the verse at the top. Working out (physical
training) is good, but in God's perspective, it's only of
"some" value. But godliness has eternal value- and is
of utmost importance in our lives! The physical
is temporary, but knowing God is eternal. We are
reminded to make sure that we are spending time
in prayer, our Bibles, studying and living it out.
I will make sure to make that a priority, but it can
easily start to lose it's place in my priorities if I
don't make it happen. I can get "out of shape" and
it will happen in subtle ways if I don't spend time
with God. I will notice how "in shape" I'm in once
I'm tested by how I respond. I care more about my
"eternal shape" than I do my "physical shape"! How about
you?


Kristi and me (last October)

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing it is to work out with you!! You challenge me physically and spiritually!! The Lord has used you so much in my life and I am so thankful!!! :) I would never push myself to complete the workouts if I was alone! I, too, thought about our workouts when Jack mentioned that verse yesterday. I am glad we are committed to strengthening our spiritual lives...and that that takes priority over our physical bodies! But...I am thankful to have a friend to exercise with, and a body healthy enough to work on! What a good God we serve! Thank you for being such an awesome friend and encourager!

    ReplyDelete