Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Do Not Be Anxious!

It's raining Cheerios!!!


"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything,
by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your
requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends
all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds
in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true,
whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is
excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things."
Philippians 4:6-8

These are much needed verses in the Amico household.
We have lots of accidents and mishaps and whatever
else you want to call them. Some of them are
because these things just happen with little kids,
and other times, they just happen because I have boys!
But all in all, this verse is what I need to
meditate on.
Let me just give a couple examples of why I would
need to have the peace of God and think about
whatever is right and pure.
1. Within the first two weeks of getting
my long awaited new couch (because the couch
we had for 9 years showed everything and I was
constantly cleaning up every spot), and spending
a good amount of money on my nice, new couch,
my 3-yr-old fell asleep and was so tired he
couldn't wake up to go to the toilet and a
puddle was underneath him on my wonderful,
new couch.
2. A week later, my 8-yr-old didn't feel
well and after telling him over and over,
"if you feel like you're going to be sick,
you need to run to the bathroom" and "get
off the couch if you feel that sick" and after
he reassures me that it's not that bad. . .
he gets sick on the couch, and that's not
the worst part- he just had red gatorade
before this happened!
3. Right in the middle of 100 degree heat,
my car's air conditioner went out and I had
to drive for an hour with 100 degree wind
on my face as I was dripping with sweat!
We got that taken care of a couple thousand
of dollars later.
4. Anyone who has seen the videos on my
blog from our car rides can understand
why I would need God's help to "not be
anxious".
5. My 2-yr-old loves to pull apart
anything and everything and leave a
trail like a tornado has hit every
room in this house.
6. My 2-yr-old was jumping on a trampoline
and fell and hit the metal rim and two weeks
later his front tooth turned brown and is dead!
Thank goodness for adult teeth!
7. The list could go on and on!

Some pictures to show some of our fun. . .

Uh-oh: "My oatmeal dropped!"

"All of it!"

The "5 second rule" turned into 500 seconds. . .
besides, he's a boy, right!


Frosted Mini Wheats anyone?

While I painted Luke's room, he decided to
raid the pantry!



The verses I put above are so good because not only do
they tell us "not to be anxious" but they show us that
through prayer and thanksgiving, we can "change our
minds" and start to think about what matters most.
It's so true- when I step back and take myself out
of the situation, it's just a couch, it's just a
problem with the car, it's just a chair with oatmeal
on it. What I am thankful for is beautiful, healthy
children who made the mess, and money to buy a couch
and that I can pay for air conditioning, and the fact
that my sons have toys to play with. I am blessed
beyond measure. So when I get irritated or annoyed
or frustrated, I will think to these verses!
Instead of being anxious, I will ask God to help
me to be thankful and to think of all that is praiseworthy!


This tastes sooo good! I'm saving some for later!

I'm making something sweet for mommy and daddy. All
it takes is some powdered sugar.

They caught me before I could finish!

1 comment: