Monday, August 3, 2009

ASA Nationals in Oklahoma City

I just returned from Oklahoma City where I spoke to the top 64 18&U Softball teams in the country. They had Opening Ceremonies at the Hall of Fame Stadium. I have so many memories from Oklahoma City and the Hall of Fame Stadium. This was the stadium where I played in 4 NCAA Women’s College World Series Championship Games, winning 3 of them. This is also where I attended the first ever Olympic Team Tryout and was named to the team at the age of 21. This time I was there to speak to the girls competing in their National Tournament.
Friends have asked me if I have a set speech when I speak and the answer is no. The reality is that I have never said the same speech twice. I have spoken at a lot of different events that have different audiences, so I really try to see who I’m speaking to and share from my heart. I have experienced so much through my successes, and I believe we can always learn lessons from our wins and also our losses. So as I shared from my heart with this group, I wanted to remind them that ALL the hard work they put into practices, lessons, workouts, games and tournaments was preparation for this tournament. At the same time, the focus needs to be on how to be the best TEAM. I talked about supporting each other and believing in each other. I shared a little about each Olympics I competed in and lessons I took away from those experiences and I finished up by sharing what I believe a TRUE Champion is: One who not only has talent and speed or strength, but one who works twice as hard when no one is around as they do when they are with their team. A TRUE Champion is one who can lead her teammates to believe they can succeed when their backs are to the wall and who has passion and heart when she plays the game. One who refuses to give up no matter what! A TRUE Champion is one who makes those around her want to be better because she is always striving to be her very best. She is somebody who doesn’t make excuses when she makes a mistake, but wants the next ball hit to her so she can redeem herself. She is one who does what is right on and off the field. I told them that a TRUE Champion cannot be taught, but this kind of character comes from within. We all have the ability to be a TRUE Champion, but we must choose to be one. A TRUE Champion lives in the moment and this is their moment to shine!
After I spoke I stayed and signed autographs and took a few pictures. I really do love people so I enjoy meeting these talented athletes and their families who have worked extremely hard to get to this level in the sport of softball. It was fun to catch up with some friends from the USA Softball staff while I was there as well. Once again, I am grateful for the opportunity to encourage and motivate others to be their very best on and off the field! I also saw a couple girls (Talee and Skylar) who I coached at Chino Hills HS and I talked to a few of the girls who played in the Under Armour All-America Game in FL. Softball is a SMALL WORLD!


I stopped by the Hall of Fame located next to the
field to take a few pictures from the past!

1996 Olympic Team Collage

2000 Olympic Team Memorabilia

2004 Olympic Team Memorabilia located in the Hall of Fame

2008 Olympic Team Collage

I saw Diana (from Chino Hills) who is a friend and her daughter, Skylar
is in the tournament.

Umpires enjoying the GOLD

Nancy, Julie and me

All 64 Teams and umpires on the field for Opening Ceremonies

Speaking to the crowd

Tremors from New York

Girls in the tournament waiting for pictures/autographs

Everybody who waited to talk and take pictures was so nice.
I appreciated all the nice comments about my speech and hope
those girls go out and have the tournament of their lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment