Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Following vs. Leading


John 11:26:”If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor.”

Jesus was talking to the disciples and I want to point out the word follow. God has plans for everybody who will follow Him in obedience. Many times we have our own plans in our heads about what we want to do, where we want to go and what we think is best for us. When we get sidetracked, we begin to take the lead and forget to follow. Jesus was very clear that there is a cost to follow Him and that cost is our lives. The verse before John 11:26 says “He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep if for eternal life (v.25)”. God knows that we think we know best, but Jesus reminds us to keep our eyes on the big picture: eternal life. By losing our life, He means living it for God and not for our own pleasure and glory. This goes against our nature to look out for number 1, but when we obey this command, we will receive honor from God. I don’t follow religion, but I am a follower of Jesus. I’ve found from experience, it’s much better to pray and trust God to lead me and open doors for me than making my own way and asking God to join me. As a parent, I know what is best for my children and ask them to trust me when I'm leading them. God asks us to trust Him! He is our Heavenly Father who knows all and LOVES us more than we could ever imagine!

No comments:

Post a Comment