Thursday, August 13, 2009

Seasoned with Salt

"Let your conversation be always full of grace,
seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to
answer everyone." Colossians 4:6

I was reading the book of Colossians and this
verse stood out to me. I know that many times
my conversations are not full of grace and that
is something that God has been teaching me.
I have been learning that if there is somebody
doing something that I don't agree with or if
I get frustrated about something, then instead
of complaining about it, I need to go to God
in prayer. Complaining or being harsh will do
nothing, but prayer can change things. I know
that my heart changes also as I go to God in
prayer. I heard from an amazing woman of God,
Kay Yow (who is now in heaven), that truth without
love is harsh and love without truth is hypocrisy.
We need to always speak the truth in love!

The other part of this verse is that our conversation
should be seasoned with salt. Salt makes things taste
better! Something can be completely bland, and then
you add a little salt (or maybe A LOT of salt like my son,
Jake), and suddenly, the food tastes much better. If God
is in control of our lives and we are spending time
with Him, our conversations will be respectful and
encouraging and people will enjoy talking to us. His love will
shine through us if we are "abiding" in Him like the Bible
tells us to. People will start to see the heart of Jesus as He
changes our hearts to be like His. Let's add some salt to
our conversations!

No comments:

Post a Comment