Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Practice what you Preach

I have been told that in parenting,
more things are "caught" than "taught".
I can understand why that would be
true. It's easier to follow something
when it's been shown to you. When we
lead by example and not just words, there
is a powerful truth being shown. Recently,
Les Steckel, FCA President, said that
teenagers have their ears closed to what
is being said and their eyes open to what
is being lived out. The point was that
we need to live in a way that draws them
closer to the God we know. When we are
examples of love, humility, and kindness,
people will be drawn to this way that is
so different than all the hard stuff we
see around us.

I want my boys to love Jesus! I don't
have a life verse, but just writing about
this makes me think that this is the one
I choose for my life:

1 Corinthians 11:1
"Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ."
NKJV

The NIV says it this way:
"Follow my example, as I follow the example of
Christ."

Powerful words when they are lived out. I
believe in order to teach my boys to love
Jesus, I need to show them how. There are
many different ways: reading our Bibles,
going to church, serving others, being kind,
speaking uplifting words, talking about who
God is and what He has planned for those who
love Him. One of the most important areas is
prayer, because that is the time where we
come before God and all else fades away.

We pray at our mealtimes, but I also don't
mind when they "catch" me praying in my
room. Sometimes they will lay on the floor
next to me and start praying too. It is
the cutest thing. Well, the reason for this
post is that one day, Drew (5), said, "Mom,
I'm gonna go spend time with God and pray."

I came into his room a little later and this
is what I saw:


Drew had his Bible open, and would drop his
head in prayer after a little bit. I just had
to get a picture. If nothing else, to remind
me what matters most! This is the most important
thing I can let my kids "catch" from me:
A love and reverence for God that leads us to
His presence in prayer
. I see the power
of "Practicing what I preach!"

No comments:

Post a Comment