Monday, April 26, 2010

What the Bible says about your HEART

The Bible talks A LOT about the HEART! In fact
the word heart occurs in the Bible 836 times
in 775 verses! That is A LOT!

What does it say about the heart?

Well, here are just a few examples:

Deut 4:29: ". .seek the LORD your God, and
you will find Him if you seek Him with all
your heart and with all your soul."

Deut 6:5: "You shall love the LORD your God
with all your heart, with all your soul, and
with all your strength."


Deut 11:6: "Take heed to yourselves, lest your
heart be deceived, and you turn aside and serve
other gods and worship them,"

Psalm 81:12: "So I gave them over to their own
stubborn heart, To walk in their own counsels."

Proverbs 4:23: "Above all else, guard your heart,
for it is the wellspring of life."

Jeremiah 17:9: "The heart is deceitful above all
things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?"


Luke 6:45: "The good man brings good things out
of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil
man brings evil things out of the evil stored up
in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart
his mouth speaks."

OK, those are just a few of the examples, but
clearly even just these few show that there
is both good and bad in our hearts. In one
verse it says the heart is deceitful, but in
the next verse it talks about it being the
wellspring of life. Luke 6:45 rings true for
what happens in our lives when we become followers
of Jesus Christ and allow Him to lead in our
lives. It says that good comes out of a good
heart and evil comes out of an evil heart. Even
the kindest people have evil in their hearts
(pride, anger, lust, etc) until Jesus comes in.
The funny thing is that you don't think there is
evil in your heart until you make Jesus the Lord
of your life. When I did that, I started to see
how sinful I really was and how much I needed
God to change my life from the inside ( my heart)
out. My thoughts, words and actions slowly
began to change and much more good was coming
out of me when I started living my life to honor
God. I still struggle in areas and ask God to
cleanse me and forgive me and most importantly
change me in those areas. I want my speech to
glorify God, and I want my actions to glorify
God. The hardest part is trying to have all
my thoughts glorify God! I am a work in progress,
but pro-gress is all about moving forward and
making changes in a positive direction.

So about our hearts, what goes in is what is
going to come out. What are we listening to,
watching, thinking about, spending our time
and money on? What goes in, will come out.
God promises that if His truth (Bible), His
love and power, and His Holy Spirit are in us,
GOOD will come out of our HEARTS! And it tells
us that what comes out of our mouths will prove
that good is in us. Wow, convicting and a good
challenge for all of us to put more of God's
Word in us so that's what comes back out. Will
you step up to this challenge? I WILL! Let's
do it together!!!

Let your HEART testify to how great your God is!

No comments:

Post a Comment