Saturday, July 11, 2009

What does it mean to be content?


"Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we
brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we
can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing,
with these we shall be content." 1 Tim 6:6-8

"Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned
in whatever state I am, to be content;
I know how to be abased (humiliated), and I know how
to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned
both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and
to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ
who strengthens me." Philippians 4:11-13

The apostle Paul wrote both of these statements in
the Bible and I want to write about contentment.
A synonym for contentment is to be satisfied.
Contentment can be very hard for us in America.
We all strive to be more and to have more. It's an
interesting emotion that takes over when we are not
content. Many times, the more we have, the more we
want and we are not satisified until we get what we
want. Other times, we want something because we see
other people with something that we don't have. Every
year I made the USA National Team, we would receive
new pratice outfits, warm up suits, sweatshirts, polos,
and shoes. It was like Christmas in the summer! We
loved our clothes until the latest style changed and
something new came out. Suddenly, I thought that the
new practice shirt was better than the current one
and couldn't wait to get the new style! How quickly I
would forget about all my clothing I had and looked ahead
to what I wanted. God started to show me something:
as I took my eyes off of Him and turned them to all that
was around me, I would never be satisfied. God showed
me that the only way to be truly content is to thank
Him for all the blessings in my own life! When I start
to look at all that I do have, I become much more grateful.
Like Paul, I should be able to be content with little or
much. I need to be content with clothing and food. I
need to recall that God has not only provided for all
my needs, but for many of my wants as well. I will strive
to make these verses true in my life at all times and I
hope you will do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment