Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Fate of the Yellow Woodbee


"The Fate of the Yellow Woodbee": The Story
of Nate Saint and the Auca Indians is a book
in the Trailblazer Series by Dave and Neta
Jackson. The Trailblazer Books were recommended
to me by a friend. My son, Jake, is 8 years old
and I homeschool him. He loves to read and I was
trying to find something that he would really
enjoy and look forward to reading each day. Not only did
he look forward to reading this book, but I read it
with him and couldn't put it down. They are fictional
books based on true stories of Christian heroes from the
past. I haven't seen the movie about Nate Saint, "The End of the
Spear", so I bought it once I finished the book and now I
just need to find the time to sit and watch it. Nate Saint,
Jim Elliot, Ed McCully, Roger Youderian and Pete
Fleming lost their lives in the jungles of Ecuador on Jan 8,1956.
They cared more about sharing Jesus with an unreached
group than saving their own lives. I look forward to
seeing them in heaven one day! Now we're on our second
book: "The Hidden Jewel". It's about the missionary,
Amy Carmichael in the early 1900's in India. I highly
recommend these books and look forward to reading more!

After reading the book, Jake started playing his imaginary
games and this time he said he was a missionary who was
going to Japan to share Jesus with them. He said he also
was a doctor that was taking care of the sick people. It
was another reminder that what our kids take in (especially
in reading)will impact them in big ways.

2 comments:

  1. We did a whole unit study on Nate Saint just because I felt so lead to after reading his story. We ended our unit study by watching the End of the Spear and getting involved with MAF..they give away free books and if you have Jake write them they will send you a bunch of info including paper airplanes etc...very cool! google MAF missionary I guess..if you can't find it let me know

    ReplyDelete
  2. His story urged me to stay focused on sharing Jesus. Thanks for the info! One day after reading the book, we were driving up Euclid (near the Chino airport) and up above was a little yellow plane just like the book! I told Jake that it was a little message from God! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete