Thursday, November 12, 2009

Breakthrough Prayer by Jim Cymbala



I really enjoy books that are Bible-based and teach
on subjects that are important to our lives as Christians.
Since I don’t get a lot of time to read while raising my 3 boys
unless I am traveling, I try to read books that
grow my knowledge, increase my faith and deepen
my understanding of the Bible. Last year I read
Intercessory Prayer, by Dutch Sheets and it opened
my eyes to the power we have in prayer. I started
to pray differently, expecting the Lord to answer
and interceding for others.
After reading two books by Jim Cymbala, Fresh Wind,
Fresh Fire
and You Were Made For More (I highly
recommend both books), I picked up his book on prayer.
God has been teaching me so much the past few years
as I have been desiring to honor Him in every area of
my life. I pray that I will be in the middle of God’s
will for my life, obediently following Him as I seek
to know Him more. This book confirmed so many
truths of the Bible that God has been teaching me
and also brought to light some new truths as well.
I recommend this book to every Christian out there,
as well as to every person who wants their prayers
to be heard. You will learn about prayer, the Bible,
and most importantly, the only true God. Jim Cymbala
is the pastor at The Brooklyn Tabernacle, a church that I
recently attended on my trip to CT. I will share some
quotes from his book on some of my future posts,
but wanted to point this out for now:

In order to receive God’s blessings, we must:
1. Ask God in Prayer
“During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, He
offered up prayers and petitions to the One
Who could save Him from death, and He was
heard because of His reverent submission.”
Hebrews 5:7
2. Read and take to heart God’s Word
“Blessed is the one who reads the words of
this prophecy, and blessed are those who
hear it and take to heart what is written in
it.” Revelation 1:3
3. Be obedient through faith (the hardest
part for most of us)
“For surely, O LORD, You bless the righteous;
You surround them with your favor as with a
shield” Psalm 5:12
4. Be compassionate and generous in giving
Read Deuteronomy 14:28-29

All of the books I have on this blog I highly
recommend. I believe they have sound
doctrine and the men and women who
have written these books share great
Biblical truths while giving real-life examples
of these truths lived out. They have been
an encouragement to me and I know you
would enjoy them as well.

I was so excited to visit The Brooklyn
Tabernacle last weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment