Monday, June 7, 2010

Losing a Legend

I wrote about legendary Coach John Wooden a couple
months ago and now he is in heaven praising God face
to face and reunited with his wife!

This is what one of the headlines read after
he passed away on June 4th:

"John Wooden dies at 99; UCLA basketball coach
won 10 national titles Wooden's accomplishments
during his 27-season tenure with the Bruins made
him one of the greatest coaches in sports history.
He also created the 'Pyramid of Success'
motivational program."

I had the opportunity to meet him at his house
when I was on the Women's Advisory Board
with Athletes in Action.

It was such an honor. I loved his humility and
love for the Lord. He missed his wife, Nellie,
so much. She passed away from cancer in 1985.
He talked about her with such love when we spoke
with him.

I love that his faith and excellence in his career
were one in the same. His faith in Jesus Christ
wasn't just what he believed, it shaped the person
he was. It was WHO he was! He was an amazing
example to all. I know the heavens are rejoicing
and God said to Coach Wooden when He saw him,
"Well done my good and faithful servant".

Let's strive for excellence in our lives and
most importantly, our faith, so we can leave a
legacy to those in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment