Monday, November 1, 2010

Pumpkin Bread and More

OK, so it's Fall and that makes me think
of pumpkins

which makes me think of:

Pumpkin Bread!!!! (My favorite!)


I have been baking Pumpkin Bread for
Jake's school party (I still homeschool,
but he takes classes on Thursdays), for
our family, and for a friend's grandma
who recently fell and was in the hospital.
It is so good and very addicting! Here
is the recipe if you want to try it out:

Amazing Pumpkin Bread (my mom's recipe):
3 cups of sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 cup applesauce
2 cups pumpkin
3 1/3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp nutmeg

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray tins
with cooking spray (I use mini loaf tins
and get 7 mini loaves from this recipe).
Cream sugar and vegetable oil together
w/hand beater until blended. Add eggs
(slightly beaten), applesauce and pumpkin.
Mix together dry ingredients and add to
this mixture until all blended. Bake
40 minutes or until toothpick comes out
clean.

OK, so here is the "More" part of this
post. Since I've been baking, it reminded
me of my baking BLUNDER a couple years
ago. So here's what happened:

We were having a get together with all
my girl friends. Everybody was bringing
a dish and I decided to try out a dessert
that my friend brought to my house one
night: Peanut Butter Pie. Well, with
pie involved, there is pie crust right?

I decided against the pie crust on the
shelf and also the refrigerated kind,
and went straight for the frozen one.
I had never used a frozen pie crust
before, and soon, everyone at the
party would know that! I thought
since the crust was hard (frozen),
it just needed to be thawed, not
realizing it needed to be thawed
and COOKED!!!! So we get to the
party and I think: it's a little
hard still, let's keep it out so
it can soften a little bit. It ended
up soft all right! The worst part
is, I knew it was mushy, but couldn't
figure out why. Finally, my friends
were talking to eacother about it,
and my friend, Kristi, kindly helps
me figure out what is going on!

Was I embarassed? YES! But seriously,
I thought it was so funny! Only I would
do something like that. We need to be
able to laugh at ourselves and even
writing this right now makes me laugh!

I can tell you one thing, I will ALWAYS
cook frozen pie crust from now on! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment