Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I love the book of Philippians in the
Bible. If you have never read it, get
your Bible out and check it out. It's
a short book with only 4 chapters, but
what Paul shares is very powerful. The
verse that I write when I sign autographs
is from Philippians:

Philippians 4:13: "I can do all things
through Jesus Christ who gives me strength."

As I was reading this morning, these verses
stood out and I wanted to share them:

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true,
whatever is noble, whatever is right,
whatever is pure, whatever is lovely,
whatever is admirable- if anything is
excellent or praiseworthy- think about
such things. Whatever you have learned
or received or heard from me, or seen in
me- put it into practice. And the God
of peace will be with you." Phil 4:8-9




Thinking about what is true, noble, right,
pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or
praiseworthy is what we are to do. I
think Paul is showing us that thinking
about these types of things lead us right
back to God. I can't think of anything that
is praiseworthy without knowing that God
deserves the final praise.

What stands out to you about being true,
admirable or excellent? I think about
a family that is solid and loving, or
being honest even when it's hard. I
think of a newborn baby coming into this
world and God has given life to that
baby. I think about helping those in
need and praying for them regularly.
I also think about sharing God's truth
to people who are hurting and don't know
the love and peace only God can give to
them.

Paul, who was beaten, thrown in jail,
shipwrecked and much more, knew how
important it was to set his mind on
God's truth or he would have lost hope.
He suffered much more than most will ever
suffer and yet these were the words of
wisdom He passed along. What is so
amazing to me is that the very next
words were: "whatever you have: learned,
received, heard or seen from me, put it
into pracice."

Those are powerful words! I desire to
follow God and be what He wants me to
be and I fall short many times! God
knows that and gives us His grace, but
the key is to being more Christlike is
to do what Paul is talking about- think
about what is right, and then do it. I
want to be a person that says, "Whatever
you saw me do, say and teach you, do those
things." In some ways, I believe I can
say that, but in other ways, like with my
boys when I lose my patience, I cannot say
to follow my example. I will take these
words to heart and meditate upon them.
If I first can get my mind to think about
what is true and right rather than what
is bugging me or making me angry, I know
my response will change.

I love what Paul shared after those two
points:
If we do these things:
"the God of peace will be with me."
(and you too).


No comments:

Post a Comment